Green Cardamom is a popular spice in India. It is pleasantly scented and is also considered the “third most expensive” spice in the world. It is often referred as the “queen of spices” because of its pleasant aroma and taste.
Table Of Content
Green Cardamom Scientific Name
The Scientific name for green cardamom is Elettaria subulatum.
Green Cardamom Alternative Names
Green Cardamom has a couple of other names as well. It has got different names in different countries. Some of them are as follows.
- Hari Ilaichi.
- Sano sukumel.
Green Cardamom Description
The Green Cardamom is a small peapod which has lovely aroma and taste.
Looks : It is small seed pod, triangular in cross section and spindle shaped. The outer shell is thin and it has black seeds inside.
Size : They are three sided. The pods are 8-25 mm long. The pods are 2-4 mm wide. There are three compartments which contains a total of 15-20 seeds.
Aroma : It has an intensely aromatic fragrance.
Taste: It has a strong and unique taste.
Cardamom plant : Cardamom is a perennial herb that can reach a height of about 2-6 meters. The leaves are sword shaped and the plant is dark green in color.
Green Cardamom Distribution
The Green Cardamom is found in India, Nepal and Bhutan. Recently Guatemala and Sri Lanka have begun to cultivate the plant.
Green Cardamom Habitat
Green Cardamom grows mostly in the tropics, wild and in plantation. Cardamoms are grown in partially cleared tropical rain forests. They are dried in the sun or bleached. The plant requires humid and moderately cool climate, humus rich soil and well distributed rainfall.
Green Cardamom Nutritional Facts
The Green Cardamom is rich in nutrients. Let us check it out. The value is given for per 100 gram of the Cardamom.
|Vitamin A||0 IU|
|Vitamin C||21 mg|
Green Cardamom Health Uses
The Green Cardamom has several health benefits.
- Green Cardamom is an appetizer, carminative and digestive.
- It is used mainly to treat colds and fevers.
- Green cardamom is used for massages in parlors as it eases the muscle tensions and provides relief.
- The oil is beneficial for improving metabolism.
- It also removes bad breath.
- Green cardamom helps in treating digestive disorders.
- When eaten with tea, it helps cure mental depression.
- It has detoxifying properties so it cleanses the body.
- It is anti oxidant.
- This spice helps in raising bone mineral density.
- It provides relief from stomach cramps.
- It has a cooling effect.
- This aromatic spice helps in balancing kapha, pitta and vata according to ayurveda.
Green Cardamom Uses
The Green Cardamom is used in medicinal and culinary uses apart from its vast health benefits.
- Green Cardamom is beneficial in treating urinary infections.
- It is effective in treating cystitis, nephritis and burning micturation.
- Green Cardamom protects against throat infections.
- It can help relieve nausea and vomiting.
- Green Cardamom is helpful in sexual wellbeing. It helps in treating impotency, erectile dysfunction and loss of libido, premature ejaculation and sexual weakness.
- It is also at times used as local anesthetic.
- It is beneficial for teeth and gum infections.
- Green Cardamom is an antidote for snake and scorpion venom.
- It gives protection against lungs and pulmonary tuberculosis.
- It has blood thinning properties, therefore a great help for people suffering from cardiovascular diseases.
- It provides relief from pain caused by muscle contractions.
- It has anti cancer properties.
Green Cardamom is used widely in various cuisines all over the world. Let us check them out.
- This aromatic spice is used to flavor food, drink, milk and soups.
- It is also used in the preparation of sweet dishes, pastries and bread dishes.
- This species of cardamom is also used as a flavoring base in tea, coffee and liquors.
- The Green Cardamom acts an essential ingredient in sausages.
- In India, North Africa and cuisines of Middle East green Cardamom is an essential and a popular spice to make the dishes spicy.
- It is used in pickles.
- Green Cardamom is added to make Biriyani more aromatic and flavorsome.
- It is used as a natural meat preservative.
- In Gujarati cuisines it is used in “kadhi”- a dish prepared with buttermilk.
- Cardamom Tea is very popular and it also aids in providing relief from stress.
- This expensive spice is added to ice-creams also.
Green Cardamom has other uses as well apart from medicinal and culinary uses.
- Green Cardamom is used as oil and oleoresin.
- It is also used in perfumes.
- It is used in Ayurveda.
Green Cardamom Recipes
Several delicacies can be made from this expensive spice. The aroma and the flavor make it an essential ingredient for cooking mouth watering delicacies like,
- Chicken with black spices and saffron and cardamom yoghurt.
- Lamb Biriyani.
- Lamb Pilau.
- Pistachio and Cardamom Cake with Warm Spiced Figs.
- Green Cardamom Butter Chicken.
Green Cardamom Storage
The green Cardamom should be stored in an air tight container. It should be protected from direct heat, light and moisture. It is advisable not to store Green Cardamom in powdered form.
Green Cardamom Availability
Green Cardamom is available all the year round.
Green Cardamom during Pregnancy
Though cardamom is considered very safe, still pregnant women should refrain themselves from consuming it in large amounts. One should consult a Doctor before consuming Green Cardamom during pregnancy.
Green Cardamom Side Effects
One should not take Green Cardamom in large amounts than those found in food, if one is suffering from Gallstone. Green cardamom can prompt gallstone colic.
Green Cardamom Pictures
Here are some of the pictures of this aromatic and one of the most expensive spices in this world.
- by Shourini Banerjee
- April 13th 2012