Chokecherry is a fruit that belongs to the cherry and berry family of the bird-cherry species. This is one of the suckering shrubs. The fruit is also known as Virginia bird cherry and bitter-berry.
Table Of Content
Chokecherry Scientific Name
Chokecherry is scientifically known as Prunus virginiana.
Color : This fruit has a rich Canada red color complete global. Sometimes when the fruit over ripens it turns dark purplish red.
Shape : The fruit is evenly round.
Size : Each fruit of chokecherry is exactly of the size of a glass marble.
Taste : The fruit has a sweet and acidic taste of its own.
Chokecherry is found in two varieties, Eastern chokecherry and Western chokecherry.
This strange fruit is found all over U.S.A., Canada and France.
- Chose low alkaline and well drained soil to sow the chokecherry seeds.
- They seeds should be sown in winters as they require cold for germination.
- Plant the seeds at three inches apart from each other.
Sunlight : These shrubs need open space and full sun to grow.
Water : Water the area of plantation thoroughly and make sure the water is drained out completely.
Chokecherry Nutritional Facts
Nutrition content in every single cup full of chokecherry is given in the chart below.
|Total Calories||249 kcal|
|Vitamin A||258.72 IU|
|Vitamin C||8.47 mg|
|Vitamin B6||0.30492 mg|
|Vitamin E (Alpha-tocopherol)||0.539 mg|
|Vitamin K||32.494 mcg|
|Pantothenic Acid||0.61292 mg|
|Folate, Food||3.08 mcg|
Chokecherry Health Benefits
Chokecherry is quite beneficial for health. It nourishes the body from deep within. Find out all about its health benefits below.
- It contains flavonoids that are phytonutrients. This property nourishes the various organs of human body and boost up their functioning.
- Vitamin C content in chokecherry improves immunity of human body.
- It has high level of anti-oxidant contents. This protects our body cells from free radical damages.
- Its manganese content is extremely beneficial for maintained functioning of thyroid hormones.
- The same manganese is also beneficial for healthy functioning of nerves and well maintenance of bones.
Chokecherry Side Effects
The fruit has many side effects as well if over eaten.
- The mildest side effect results in headache.
- Over eating of this fruit can cause constipation.
- Sometimes it even results in ushering ulcers.
- Leaves and seeds of this fruit have been studied to be toxic.
- Consumption of wild chokecherries’ leaves and seeds has also proven to be fatal.
Chokecherry is eaten raw as a fruit like berries and cherries. It is also processed and used in deserts.
Chokecherry has various uses since ages back. Find out the edible, medicinal and other commercial uses of this fruit.
- It is used make deserts like pies.
- Jelly is made from the extracts of this fruit.
- It is also stewed sometimes.
- Liqueurs and spirits are flavored with extracts of this fruit.
- Extracts of this fruit is used to treat chronic cough, dry dough and whooping cough.
- It treats nervous dyspepsia.
- Helps in improving digestion.
- It helps in curing gastritis.
- The fruit treats diarrhea.
- It cures convalescent debility.
- It has anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties.
Extracts from the bark of chokecherry tree is used in flavoring many canned edible things and liqueurs.
Chokecherry Interesting Facts
Find some of the strange and extremely interesting facts about chokecherry listed below.
- Chokecherry is has properties that are extremely beneficial for human health.
- Though the fruit is nutritious and beneficial for health but the seed and leaves of the same fruit are extremely toxic. Consumption of these seeds and leaves can even prove fatal.
- This fruit’s extracts has more medicinal uses than culinary ones.
- Though it is a fruit but it cannot be eaten raw as it is. It has an acidic taste. Though is used to flavor a lot of deserts and liqueurs.
- This fruit looks quite similar to berries from a distance.
See the pictures of chokecherry below top find out how this fruit looks like, so the next time it is not confused with berries.
- by anwiksha
- January 15th 2012