Garlic Chives Definition
Garlic chives are a species of herbs that belong to the chive family of onion species. The herb is called garlic chives because of its flavor, which is like garlic.
Table Of Content
It is a very common herb used in cuisines in Asia. It is widely grown throughout Asia. Nowadays the herb is gaining popularity around the world. Growing this herb is very easy and can actually be grown in the kitchen garden, or backyard. Its health benefits are numerous and so are its medical uses.
Picture 1 – Garlic Chives Image
Source – mcfayden.com
Garlic Chives Scientific Name
Garlic chive is scientifically known as Allium tuberosum.
Garlic Chives Description
Garlic chives belong to the onion family and they are very similar to the usual chives.
Flowers : The herbs bloom beautiful white flowers. The flowers look so good that they are used in floral bouquets.
Plant : This herb has long, lush green shoots, which can also be termed as its sharp leaves.
Bulbs : Bulbs develop at the base of the garlic chive plants. The bulbs are white-sheathed.
Roots : The roots of this herb develop from the base bottom of the bulbs.
Taste : The herb is named after its flavor. It has a very strong essence and flavor of garlic.
Garlic Chives Growing
Garlic chives can be grown in pea seed pots only. The following tips might be helpful in the process.
Sowing : Garlic chives germinate from seeds. Sow the seeds in to a pot that is of 18inches diameter, and 12inches in depth. Sow the seeds in it. The soil temperature should be kept to 60drees to 70degegrees till the first 6th week. Then once the seeds start germinating, take them and plant them in outdoors
Watering : Do not let the seedlings dry out. Keep watering them twice or thrice in every week.
Harvesting : The leaves should be cut only when the length reaches up to 6inches.
Garlic Chives Nutritional Value
Garlic chive is a very nutritious herb. Find out the high nutrition content in per 100gm of the herb below:
Principle Nutrients :
|Vitamin A||4353 IU|
|Vitamin C||58.1 mg|
|Vitamin E||0.21 mg|
Garlic Chives Uses
Garlic chive herbs find their use in many ways, in kitchen, in ancient medical science, and also in patient diet. Know more about the various uses of this herb below :
Culinary Uses :
- It is used in soups, sauces, caviar, salads, meet, egg dishes, etc.
- The herb plays a big part in Asian cuisine.
- If garlic is felt to be avoided then garlic chives are the best way to add the flavor without pitting the garlic into the dish.
- The flower stems of garlic chives are used for seasoning many dishes.
Medicinal Use :
- The herb is consumed to reduce stress and fatigue.
- It has been used in vogue since ancient days as an antidote to poisons that are injected in the body.
- Paste of the herb is used on wounds, and cuts. It heals them faster.
- The herb also stops bleeding.
- It is used in treatment of liver, kidney, and digestion problems.
Other Uses :
- The beautiful white flowers are used as decorative.
- Garland of the garlic chive flowers are used as ornaments also.
Garlic Chives Health Benefits
Garlic chives are consumed in many ways. Since ancient days it has been used in cooking and as a natural medicine as well. Find out the health benefits of garlic chives below :
- The herb is rich in Vitamin C, which prevents from common cold and fever.
- It is rich in riboflavin, potassium, vitamin A, iron, thiamin, and beta carotene. These elements help in blood count increase, maintaining blood pressure, and increasing immunity power.
- It is low in fat, thus is safe for those who suffer from obesity and are restricted from most of the herbs and spices.
- The herb has high content of dietary fiber and protein. It helps in maintaining a healthy and balanced metabolism.
- Cooked garlic chives help in treating digestive, kidney, and liver problems.
Garlic Chives Facts
Garlic chives herbs are very useful, delicious, and interesting herb species to know about. Find out some interesting Facts about this herb below :
- The herb belongs to the onion leaf family, and is similar to the usual chives, but has no quality of the usual chives or onion leaves.
- The herb has been named after its taste. Though it belongs to the onion family but it tastes like garlic.
- It is a very common seasoning in Asian cuisine.
- The herb is very delicious in taste as well as nutritious for health.
- Garlic chives find their use in medical field also since ancient days. It is used to cure wounds and cuts, and also helps in controlling excessive bleeding.
- The herb is grown is pea seed pots and then after the seedlings germinate, they are shifted to the ground outdoors.
- Garlic chives have many health benefits but hardly any side effects.
Garlic Chives Side Effects
No side effect as such of consuming garlic chives reported yet. But those who are allergic to garlic itself or any leafy herb should consult an expert or seek medical advice before consuming this herb.
- by anwiksha
- August 23rd 2011