What is Celery Seed?
It is the seed of the Celery plant that is specifically cultivated for its flavorful, aromatic properties. It can be detected as an ingredient in spice mixtures the world over. This organic substance is available in whole as well as in grounded form.
Table Of Content
These seeds are present in the flowers of Celery plants. They are very small in size (around 1.62oz) and are tanned or dark- brown in color. They have a slightly pungent yet pleasant odor.
Celery Seed Uses
This seed is used for various purposes. Some of the main uses of this ovule are stated below:
These days, the seed is especially used as a diuretic agent, a substance used for raising urine output to rid the human body of surplus water. The seed can also reduce other problems such as anxiety, muscle spasms and inflammation. Some medical authorities also recommend this seed as a good healing agent for Gout and Arthritis.
There is no scientific study to prove beneficial effect of celery seed on small children. It is better not to use this seed while curing small children, especially below 3 years of age.
Picture 1 – Celery Seed
Source – toenailbuddy.com
Oil distilled from the seed is used as a flavoring agent in food items. Celery seed oil is used sparingly in pickles, soups, salad dressings and other recipes. Certain studies confirm that this seed also possesses mosquito repellant properties.
Celery Seed Side Effects
The seed has many uses. However, it gives rise to a number of side effects that make it necessary for people to use it cautiously. Know about some of these side effects.
- Some people consuming or handling celery are found to suffer from Contact dermatitis and certain other allergic conditions. Psoralans present in roots and seeds of Celery plant can lead to Photodermatitis (Dermatitis resulting from exposure to ultraviolet light).
- Individuals who are allergic to birch pollen may suffer from hypersensitivity due to consumption of this seed.
- Although the seed of Celery plant is used as a diuretic, the oil extracted from it should better be avoided in curing genitourinary inflammation due to the presence of irritant compounds.
- No study has conclusively proved whether this seed reacts with other agents. However, it is better to be on the safe side and avoid using this seed while taking diuretics. This is due to the inherent diuretic qualities of this seed. Consumption of this natural diuretic along with other diuretic pills can naturally result in dehydration.
- It is better to avoid using celery seed while you are taking anti-coagulant medicines. This is, again, due to the natural blood thinning properties of this seed. If taken with other anti-coagulants, the seed may heighten the risk of undue bleeding.
- Pregnant women should best avoid using this seed as it may possibly lead to complications like muscular contractions and bleeding in the uterus.
Celery Seed Extract
It refers to a solution extracted from the seeds of Celery plants. Some of the main constituents of this seed are:
- Volatile oils
- Flavonoids (antioxidant pigments that may defend cells from impairment)
- Coumarins (chemical compounds with a capacity to thin the blood)
- Linoleic acid (an omega-6 fatty acid)
It also comprises of eight different groups of anti-cancer compounds (such as Polyacetylenes and Phyhalides). They possess the property of detoxifying carcinogens, which are present in high degree in cigarette smoke.
Celery Seed Extract Benefits
There are many benefits of celery seed extract, especially for health reasons. Some of the main Celery seed extract health benefits are:
- Decreases circulation problems – The seed extract contains Omega 6 which can reduce circulation problems. It also reduces possibilities of suffering a heart attack due to its inherent blood thinning properties.
- Acts a natural diuretic – The extract has natural diuretic qualities which make it ideal to be used for elimination of excess water from the body. The seed extract makes this possible by raising the output of urine.
- Prevents strokes – The seeds contain certain chemical compounds that help to naturally make the human blood thinner. This can help in preventing formation of blood clots that may cause strokes.
The seed extract is also useful in treating Arthritis, blood pressure problems and even cancerous conditions.
Celery Seed Extract Side Effects
Some of the known side effects of celery seed extract are:
- Photosensitivity (sensitivity to sunlight)
- Skin rashes
- Reduced heart rate
The seed extract may also produce allergic reactions such as
- Respiratory difficulties
- Tightness in the chest
- Inflammation of the throat
- Swollen lips
If you encounter any of these symptoms on using this extract, you should immediately report them to your medical provider.
Celery Seed Substitute
Celery seed has a strong earthy flavor. It is commonly used as a flavoring agent in Mediterranean and European dishes. It is difficult to find a substitute for celery seed that has the same taste. However, certain spices that come close to replicating the flavor of these seeds include:
- Caraway seeds
- Lovage seeds
- Nigella seeds
Dill seeds have a flavor that is similar to Celery and are often used in pickling.
Red Celery Seed
Red Celery is a beautiful, natural variety of celery that is spawned from heirloom seeds. It is available all through the year. This is a natural, low-calorie substance that is rich in anti-oxidants. The seeds are used to spice up dishes and can be enjoyed in casseroles and stews. They are enjoyed in raw form in salads.
Celery Seed As Herbal Supplement
Celery seed does not hold an important place in Western herbal remedy. However, it has long been used for therapeutic purposes in other parts of the planet, especially India and Greece. Ayurveda, the Indian treatise on cure through herbs and spices, mentions the power of celery seed in curing health conditions like:
- Digestion problems
- Water retention
- Liver disorders
- Spleen ailments
Celery Seed for Gout
The extract of celery seed has the capability of soothing inflammation and negating the destructive effects of uric acid that frequently results in pain and swelling in Gout. Gout is a common form of arthritis that arises due to the crystallization of a high amount of urine, uric acid and tissues in the joints. The seeds comprise of approximately twenty different anti-inflammatory agents and are quite effective in providing relief from gout by getting rid of uric acid from the body.
The name celery was first attested in English in the year 1664. The term has been derived from the French word “céleri”. However, the beneficial property of the Celery seed was recognized as long ago as 30 AD when its pain- relieving properties were first described by the Roman medical encyclopedist Aulus Cornelius Celsus.
Celery Seed Pictures
Here are some Celery Seed image:
Picture 4 – Celery Seed Picture
Source – formaggiokitchen.com
- by admin
- September 22nd 2011