Baby carrots are not fully grown and are marketed in their immature state. It is often confused with baby cut carrots that are peeled and cut from whole carrots and then dipped in chlorine solution before selling. Immature roots are generally harvested for making space for other crops, this process of known as crop thinning. Amsterdam Forcing varieties of carrots are specially bred for such baby carrots that are quite popular.
Table Of Content
Size: These root vegetables are generally around 1 ½ to 2 inches in size.
Color: It usually has an orange color but other colors in many varieties include yellow, red, purple, white etc.
Taste: Typical orange ones have a sweet nutty taste and some colorful variants have differing tastes.
Aroma: It exudes a nice fruity aroma from the taproots along with the leaves.
Wild carrots from Afghanistan are responsible for various carrot varieties found all over the world. However, Western European countries and Mediterranean nations are considered to be the native regions for orange carrots. Apart from the true varieties, production of cut and peeled baby carrots has come into picture in the middle of 1980s.
These carrots are grown all over the world, though they are different variants in different colors. Ones in Asia might be different from its European counterparts, especially when they are bred selectively.
Soil: Loamy soils are usually preferred for growing baby carrots as their texture is good.
Water: Water them at correct timings and right proportion.
Harvest: By the end of 6\55 to 65 days, baby carrots become ready to be plucked out. They should be plucked once they are ½ inches in width.
Sun: Full sun is best for their growth but some shade is also required.
Keep ample space between the seeds to allow full growth of the roots. In between other plants like radishes can be planted and you can yield more from them as they can be harvested sooner than the carrots.
Nutritional value derived from 2 ounce of baby carrots in whole form has been depicted through this chart.
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Vitamin A||750 RE|
|Dietary Fiber||1.33 g|
|Vitamin C||4.2 mg|
Baby Carrots Vs Regular Carrots
There is no such major difference in taste or benefits. But, regular carrots are less expensive than the baby carrots.
Vegetables in various modes increase the body’s ability to perform as it equips it with multiple powers to endure.
This tiny carrot pressed into juice is an excellent food for babies as well as adults.
These carrots can be eaten with a variety of dips.
They can be included in making jams, desserts and jellies as they are sweeter than the fully grown ones.
It can be used in making soups in which chicken broth can be added to boiled carrots.
Several native sweet dishes use it as fruits considering its fruity smell and taste.
Baby carrot juice can be taken to address issues pertaining to the intestines as it is easily digestible.
For roundworms present in the stomach, it works wonder due to the presence of some which dispels infections and bacteria.
Carrots in grated form can be applied on wounds including cancerous ones to bring relief to the sufferers.
Tea made out of carrot flowers are considered to be an important medicine for dropsy.
Carrots has several uses in beautification as its extracts area added to facial masks in combination with other ingredients for great looking, glowing skin.
The taproot of the plant is edible though even the greens of the vegetables are also eaten. It has immense viability in various forms.
Some of the food recipes prepared with them are:
- Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots
- Buttered baby carrots side dish
- Roasted baby carrots.
- Carrot chips and cakes.
- Baked Carrot fries.
There are many benefits of true baby carrots and it is a perfect choice for obtaining optimum health.
- Including them in diet regularly can help you cut down on excess weight as it has extremely low calories.
- Snacking on these instead of any fast food fills your stomach and provides around 30 calories in one serving.
- These are fibrous vegetables which can aid in smooth bowel movements relieving of constipation symptoms.
- Fibers are useful in controlling frequent hunger pangs and hence a very important tool for weight management.
- For attaining good eye sight and keeping cataracts at bay, baby carrots are simply awesome as they are rich in lutein and Vitamin A.
- Being a colored vegetable it is a rich source of beta carotene which is known to be antioxidant offering protection of deadly ailments like cancer.
- It is a natural source of potassium which effectively controls high blood pressure by bringing down sodium.
- These can be eaten as preventive measures for cancers as they are rich in such components that can form a protective layer in the system.
Baby carrots if consumed in excess, can lead to a condition called carotenosis, in which skin loses its original tint becoming orange. To avoid such health risks, careful consumption is advised.
Some experience allergic reactions after consuming these colorful vegetables which result in itching, reputational problems and problems related to the digestive systems.
Carrots are healthy vegetable which can be taken during pregnancy. Some women might be allergic to them, they should naturally refrain from eating them during pregnancy or otherwise.
Baby carrots have some facts like:
- Baby carrots are the miniature versions of the fully grown ones but there also exists baby-cut carrots that are sold in packaged form.
- Not just orange, these carrots are available in many colors from golden to red.
- From its wild state, by selective breeding over centuries, a sweet variety that is consumed worldwide as vegetable has been produced.
- The cut baby carrots had to face ample controversy for the dangers associated with chlorination of these vegetables.
Baby carrots are handy snacks that can be carried along and consumed with salads and healthy dips. Inventor of baby-cut carrots is Mike Yurosek, a farmer from California who sliced whole carrots in the shape of true carrots and marketed them. To preserve them from rotting these were chemically treated. In rare cases it can cause allergy like any other food. Several legends are also associated with these carrots which are tastier and tender than the bigger ones.
Here are some image of Baby Carrot.
- by Jaysmita Sarkar
- September 15th 2012