What is Avo
This edible oil is loaded with vitamins, minerals and monounsaturated fats. Avocado oil has often been closely compared with olive oil. Both the oils are rich in healthy fatty acids unlike other cooking oils. It is also interesting to not how, avocado oil is not extracted from the seed of the fruit.
Picture 1 – Avocado oil picture
Source – www.avocado oil.co.nz
Scientific name of Avocado Oil
In scientific terms avocado oil is called Oleum Perseae Americanae. The scientific term for the avocado fruit from which avocado oil is extracted is Persea Americana.
Avocado Oil Composition
Avocado oil is composed of fatty acids, vitamins, salt, minerals, phosphoric acid and phytosterols. Almost 70% of the oil is extracted from the fruit pulp.
The fatty acids mainly include palmitic and linoleic acids. Other acids such as myristic and stearic acids are also present in small quantities.
Magnesium, zinc and chlorophyll are also present in the oil. It is chlorophyll that gives the avocado oil a distinct green color.
This oil is packed with vitamins A, B1, C, D, E K and PP.
Avocado Oil Color
Picture 2 – Avocado Oil color
Source - www.rakuten.co.jp
The chlorophyll content in avocado oil is very high. It is this property of the oil that is responsible for the emerald green color to avocado oil.
Avocado Oil Density
The density of avocado oil is estimated to be 0.92g/ml at 20 degree Celsius.
Avocado Oil Smoke Point
Avocado Oil is known to have a very high smoke point of 255 degree Celsius or 491 degree Fahrenheit. The smoking point of this oil is unusually high. This property of avocado oil is what makes the oil retain its properties even when subjected to high temperatures.
Avocado Oil Production
Avocado oil is generally produced from slightly spoilt or damaged avocados. The actual process of avocado oil extraction involves the use of 3-phase decanters. The primary step is to remove the stones and skin of the fruit as the oil is mainly extracted from the avocado pulp. The pulp is thereafter put into a disintegrator that smashes the pulp to its basic components. What follows next is placing the residue into a kneader.
There is a 2-phase decanter that performs the task of separating the left over mass into oil and raw fruit flesh devoid of oil. The last and final step involves decontaminating the oil with the help of a polishing separator thereby producing high quality avocado oil. In order to preserve the quality of the oil, it is then preserved in huge stainless steel tanks that are exposed to an inert environment.
The process of extraction of avocado oil is said to have been originated in Australia and New Zealand. Today avocado oil is extracted in a number of countries in the world. Some of the countries that grow avocados include Israel, Mexico, South Africa, Spain and United States.
How to Store Avocado Oil ?
You are recommended to store avocado oil in an opaque container which does not allow light to penetrate through it. The container must have a tight and proper lid or cover in other to protect the oil from oxidation. Once oxidized the oil is bound to get rancid, especially in case of crude avocado oil.
Direct sunlight can spoil the avocado oil. As such you must always store it in dark place away from sunlight. Make sure that the room temperature is cool and the oil is not subject to any heat source.
Avocado oil is best preserved when stored with inert gas. Inert gas functions as an excellent agent in minimizing the process of oxidation, thereby increasing the longevity of the oil.
Always shake the oil before usage if stored in a refrigerator. It is not advisable to freeze avocado oil to extreme temperatures
Avocado Oil Uses
Avocado oil is truly one of nature’s biggest boons when it comes to its uses.
- Avocado oil is ranks among some of the best cooking oils. This oil which is packed with Omega-3 and other essential fatty acids can also be used for deep frying and sautéing purposes.
- This oil that can be an excellent substitute for butter can also be used in baking.
- Avocado oil is well served as marinating sauce as well.
- Avocado oil is widely used for aroma therapy.
- Avocado oil is great for babies too when it comes to their nappy rashes. It is known to sooth nappy rashes instantaneously.
- Many cosmetics including avocado oil lotions are sold in the market.
Avocado Oil for Hair
Many people are still unaware about the goodness of avocado oil for our hair. Apart from being one of the best edible cooking oil, avocado oil has properties that can breathe back life even to dull and damaged hair.
This oil packed with natural fats, has a light texture that is considered to be excellent for hair care and treatment. The skin of our hair scalp readily absorbs the rich avocado oil. Regular usage can keep hair problems of dandruff, dry scalp, thin hair and hair fall at bay. The markets are flooded with hair masks, shampoos and conditioners that are made using avocado oil.
The presence of vitamins A, D and E in the oil, make the hair healthy and strong from root to tip. Now the age old secret for shine and luster to the hair has been unleashed.
- Addition of a few drops of avocado oil to any regular shampoo can boost the moisturizing property of the shampoo.
- Hot avocado oil massage is excellent for hair growth. The oil penetrates deep into the roots of the hair. Hair follicles receive the much required nutrition through such massages.
- Usage of avocado oil at least twice a month is extremely essential for hair maintenance.
- If your hair has been subjected to hair straightening or other chemical treatments, you should use avocado oil in a regular basis.
- Avocado oil has excellent smoothening properties suitable for dry and frizzy hair.
- Avocado oil is a blessing in disguise for all those suffering from dry and itchy scalp problem.
Avocado Oil Skincare
In a world where skincare and skin care products are given so much importance, the discovery of the benefits of avocado oil for skin is a breakthrough. A boon of nature, pure avocado oil is suitable for all skin types. This oil works wonders in skin inflammation, dehydrated skin, sensitive scaly skin etc. The properties of avocado oil bear a close resemblance to skin fat.
- Regular usage of avocado oil moisturizes and revitalizes the skin. You will notice that your skin feels softer and is more toned than ever.
- Pure avocado oil when applied on the face, head and neck will bring you great results.
- The healing and softening properties of avocado oil makes it ideal for the treatment of scleroderma.
- Avocado oil is excellent massage oil as it is very healthy for the skin.
- You can get rid of that excess oily skin and bid goodbye to pimples by regular usage of avocado oil.
- Avocado oil also protects you from the harmful UV rays.
- This oil packed with sterolins can help you fight age spots and other signs of ageing.
- Skin burns or any type of wounds must be subjected to avocado oil.
- Avocado oil is extremely effective for treatment of skin disorders like solar keratosis, acne, eczema etc
- Avocado oil soothes dry and itchy skin.
Avocado Oil Health Benefits
The numerous health benefits that can be derived from avocado oil, secures it a safe position as one of the best cooking oil among edible oils. In fact in nutritional terms avocado oil gives a close competition to olive oil comprising of almost similar amounts of polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fatty acids. Research further shows that majority of the fats in avocado oil belong to the monounsaturated group. Monounsaturated fatty acids are distinctly categorized under healthy fatty acids.
Apart from this avocado oil is found to be rich in vitamins, proteins and beta-carotene. Vitamins A, D and E are present in high amounts in avocado oil.
Avocado Oil Rich in Vitamins and Minerals
The vitamins and mineral content in avocado oil is very impressive. There are almost 20 minerals and vitamins present in this oil. The presence of vitamin B6 in avocado oil makes it vital for production of red blood cells in our body. Vitamin B6 is also essential for our teeth and nervous system. Furthermore avocado oil is also loaded with minerals like potassium, copper, iron and lutein necessary for our well being.
Beneficial in Blood Pressure Control
The presence of a high content of monounsaturated fats in avocado oil makes it ideal for reducing blood pressure levels.
Protects You from Obesity
Consumption of avocado oil can actually help you to keep a check on your weight and maintain it. The monounsaturated fats present in this oil are responsible for speeding up the metabolic activity in our body. Avocado oil is extremely filling and thereby you will not feel like eating much after its intake. Automatically you will end up avoiding all kinds of fatty and sugary food.
Rich in Fiber
There is a good amount of soluble and insoluble fibers present in avocado oil. Fibers facilitate the process of digestion in our body. This oil also helps to ward off diseases like cardiovascular disease, cancer, diabetes and high blood pressure.
Great Supply of Antioxidants
Vitamins E, C and beta carotene are excellent antioxidants capable of destroying radicals that can cause various illnesses. These antioxidants are present in abundance in avocado oil.
Avocado Oil Nutrition Information
The nutritional benefits of avocado oil have been enlisted below:
Energy: 801 kcal
Total fat: 90 g
Saturated fat: 13 g
Vitamin E: 12mg
Monounsaturated fat: 69g
Polyunsaturated fat: 8 g
Avocado Oil Recipes
An array of mouth watering recipes can be prepared using virgin avocado oil. You can also use this oil to sprinkle upon salads and dressings.
Avocado Oil and Garlic Mushroom
A mouthful of this lip slurping recipe and you will be convinced that mushrooms have never tasted this good before!
Avocado Oil Vinaigrette
This simple and delicious dish takes its roots from the land of New Zealand. You have to try it!
Avocado Oil Mayonnaise
The mild flavor and buttery texture of Avocado Oil Mayonnaise can doll up any kind of food and salad.
Avocado Oil Dressing
A variety of delicacies are included in the list of avocado oil dressing. Most of the citrus dressing recipes are made with orange juice, a hint of honey and a dash of avocado oil.
Family Roast Lamb and Avocado Oil
This recipe is awesome for the holiday seasons!
Pork Butterflies with Avocado Oil Salsa
The avocado salsa is an excellent compliment with the delicious pork butterfly steaks.
Avocado Oil Potato Chips
Avocado oil potato chips are regarded to be very innovative snack food. These chips are also good for the health as it has 30% less fat compared to other potato chips.