Apricot kernels are the seeds of the apricot fruits. The seed looks very cute in its heart shaped shell. It is nutritious and tasty in certain forms. It has two extreme effects on human anatomy. It has some side effects also. Nutritional benefits of the apricot kernels are as great as the dangerous side effects of it. Growing apricot trees bearing the kernels within is quite easy, but needs slight patience. Find out all about this wonder nut below.
Apricot Kernel Scientific Name
Apricot kernel is scientifically known as Prunus armeniaca.
Apricot Kernel Description
Looks : The seed looks heart shaped. It resembles to almonds, but quite smaller in size.
Color : The seed is brown colored.
Taste : The seed comes in 3 flavors, sweet, little bitter, and a natural mild taste.
Smell : When freshly taken out of the apricot fruit the seed or the nut inside smells of apricot only. When it is smelled after sometime of being taken out of the fruit it smells plain earthly.
Apricot Kernel Nutritional Facts
|Vitamin E||4 mg||27%|
|Vitamin C||0 mg||0%|
|Vitamin B6||0 mg||0%|
|Saturated fat||6.3 mg|
|Monounsaturated fat||60 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat||29.3 g|
Apricot Kernel Health Benefits
Apricot kernels or seeds are extremely beneficial for health. Find out a detailed account of its health benefits below.
- The seeds can treat cough and cold allergy.
- Consumption of apricot kernel can help easing breathing difficulties also.
- These seeds help in digestion and relax the bowels.
- The bitter apricot seeds are rich in antimicrobial and anti-tumor properties.
- Apricot seeds also provide relief to advanced stage of liver cancer pain.
- The seed contains substance that can increase the immunity strength in human body.
- Consumption of the oil obtained from apricot kernels nourishes the skin and make it healthier.
- Apricot kernel oil also heals wounds faster.
Apricot Kernel Side Effects
Apricot kernels contain a toxin known as cyanide. People who are allergic to this toxin might face the following symptoms of side effects of eating apricot kernels.
- If the anatomy rejects consumption of this nut then people might get headache as the mildest reaction.
- Vomiting tendency might also occur as a reaction.
- Nausea is another side effect of consuming apricot kernel due to the cyanide content in it.
- People might feel dizzy also.
- Sometimes if the person consuming the nut is extremely repellent to the cyanide content then diminishing alertness can also be observed in the consumer.
- The reaction can even cause oxygen level decreasing in the blood stream.
- Side effects might result in drooping of the eyelids.
- Blood pressure level fluctuation can also be caused due to cyanide effect.
- It can also damage the nerves.
- To the worst extent of the body repelling the toxin in apricot kernels can even lead the person to get into coma stage.
Apricot Kernel Uses
Apricot kernel is a very nutritious nut and is consumed in many forms. Find out the most common ways it is put to good use.
- There are medicinal properties in apricot kernel which are assumed to be helpful in treatment of cancer.
- Since ancient days oil obtained from apricot kernels have been used to heal pains.
- The nuts are consumed as snacking items. Sometimes roasted and salted, sometimes dipped in honey and coated with sugary or chocolate outer layers and consumed as candies.
- These nuts are also grinded and sprinkled on some food dishes.
- Oil obtained from these nuts is used to cook specific dishes.
- The oil is also used in confectionary products as a flavor adder.
- Apricot kernels extract is used in many personal care products.
- Apricot kernels oil is also used as a lesser expensive substitute for almond oil.
Apricot Kernel Growing
It is easy and fun to grow apricot trees in the backyard. But the process is a bit time consuming and patience is needed mostly at the germination period from the seeds. Find the procedure below:
- Take the apricot seed from a ripe fruit and soak it for a day.
- Then wrap the seed in a wet paper towel and put it in a plastic bag. Store the plastic bag containing the seed in refrigerator for a month.
- Sow the seeds in damp soil in a pot and let them germinate into small plants.
- After germination, take the small plant out in the backyard and place the small plant in the dug-out hole. Make sure that the plant root is not disturbed during this process. So simply cut the pot rather than uprooting the plant.
- Place the small plants where there is lot of sunlight.
- The plant needs space to spread out its branches. So keep space enough space between the sowed seeds.
- Water the small plants once in every week.
- Do not drench the plant completely, as this might result in the plant’s death.
- During fruiting span the plant can be watered twice in every week.
- Nourish the plants with fertilizers during the late winter season for the first round.
- Fertilize them for the second round during the fruiting span for better result.
- See to it that the apricot fruits survive the winter winds and brushes.
- Then when the apricot is ripe at the beginning of the next year harvest them.
- Apricots may not be eligible enough to be harvested every year.
Apricot Kernel Types
There are mainly three types of apricot kernels found:
- Natural and blanched apricot kernels
- Bitter apricot kernels
- Sweet apricot kernels
Apricot Kernel Availability
Apricot kernels are mainly found during beginning of the year. But these days they could be availed at any time of the year given the advance storage technology.
Apricot Kernel In Cancer Treatment
Apricot kernel is known to contain certain properties that help cure cancer. Thus many of the cancer treating drugs contain apricot kernel extract. But this is still subjected to experts’ experiments and verdicts.
Apricot Kernel Picture
Check out pictures of apricot kernels below and know how it looks apart from the detailed knowledge about it mentioned above.
Picture 4 - Apricot Kernel Photo
Source - allthingsgreen.net